Sunday, October 18, 2015

Podcast Assignment by Sean Browne Sports Radio vs. Sports Podcast

Podcast Assignment

Podcast #1:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bill-simmons-podcast/id1043699613?mt=2

The first podcast that I listened to was the Bill Simmons Podcast hosted of course by Bill Simmons. I watched the eighth episode where Bill and his co-host Cousin Sal discuss week five of the NFL, and look ahead to week six of the NFL and make their picks on those games.
 Since Bill was on Radio for along time so his podcast definitely felt like a radio show. He did not curse at all, I probable suspect that he likes to maintain on image of not swearing so his audience will see him in a lighter sense. Also, throughout this podcast Bill was taking breaks from his sports perspectives to take advertisement messages. My guess is Bill wants to profit of his podcast show just like he would for a radio show so he does advertisement breaks.
 What I liked about this podcast was that it catered to my time needs. I was able to listen to it Thursday night while doing my homework. I downloaded this podcast to my I pod and listened to it. I could not do that if it were radio, if Bill was on at four I would have to tune in at four to listen or else I was out of luck! What I did not like was that since it was a podcast the opinion of the listeners could not be heard. Usually during radio a fan has the ability to call in the show and share his perspective, but that was not the case since this is just a podcast

Podcast #2
 http://www.foxsports.com/watch/garbage-time-with-katie-nolan/story/welcome-to-the-garbage-time-podcast-with-katie-nolan-101415  

Next, I picked another sports podcast hosted by Katie Nolan called Gar badge Time with Katie Nolan. This podcast was definitely more edgier than Bill's podcast. I presume it was because she was not really a household name like Bill Simmons. Katie frequently said words like "shit" and fuck". I have no problem with it because there is no FCC regulation so although it was unusual for me to hear a sports personality swear, it did not bother me.
So with that being said, Katie's personality is what drew me to this podcast. I loved how see made these dirty jokes and used profanity. It gave this show an edge and that would not be the case if it were on TV or radio, and I can say this because Katie is on TV for Fox Sports and she was no where near as edgy on her TV show as she is on her podcast. But her show format could also be used as a negative. I think that Katie was trying to make too many jokes and have too much fun with her freedom that she kind of diverged from sports talk and that bothered me a lot because  that was the main reason I tuned in. So in the future she needs to do a better job trying to find a medium.
Podcast #3
http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/the-herd-w-colin-cowherd-56804/

My final Podcast was the Herd with Colin Cowherd. This was a podcast that is a repetition of Colin's sports radio show. So it definitely felt like a radio show because indeed it was a radio show. Colin's show had guest voice their opinions and Colin took advertisement breaks on air so this was a radio broadcast in the form of a podcast.
What I loved the most was I was able to "cheat the system", and by that I mean since this was a podcast I did not have to listen to any commercials that I would have to listen to if I were listening in my car, so that was definitely cool. But I do wish that this show was longer, Colin had time restraints because it was a radio show, if it were a straight on podcast he could go on for a much longer time

No comments:

Post a Comment