Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Threats of Hazing, ISIS and Doanld Trump Assignment 1






Sean Browne


1. The different types of media components in this article was  video, text and interactivity
2. The text provided a solid outline of what this story entailed, thirty seven brothers from the Pi Delta Psi Fraternity would be facing criminal charges for their part in the death Chun Hsien Deng's on December 9th, 2013. His death was a cause of hazing. The story arced the time of Chun's death to police arresting these thirty seven fraternity brothers. In between those two events, the story displayed all of the things that happened in between. Things like the police officers trying to build a case and the questioning of the fraternities president Andy Meng for his role in this event. The text did a very good job in giving detailed occurrence of what happened.
 The video displayed a in depth analysis of Chun's death. Police chief  Chris Wagner of the Pocono Mountain Regional Police Department gave the details of the death. Deng was blindfolded and was assaulted by his other brothers. Deng complained how much it hurt, and then he was unconscious and had a hard time breathing. which lead to his death. The video gave  me a visual aid of what happened, the emotional power of this video really made me uncomfortable and gave me a image of what happened. So it was definitely very powerful.
The interactivity came when at the top of the article, I could click on a twitter button, and I could share this story on twitter. I think that it is very cool because I can spread the awareness of what happened
3. If I were to add something to this video I would definitely have added a poll. With a question saying " after this event, should Greek life be involved on campus". I would like that because I think  that's a reasonable question to bring up. This is not the first time a fraternity related death has happened, so I would be interested to see what people think about fraternities.
Story Two -    http://nydn.us/1J9Tp8U
1. The types of media in this article was print, video and interactivity
2. The print of this news story told how ISIS is planning an 9/11 repeat. The print depicted threats from ISIS. with quotes from ISIS such as “We will repeat September 11 and we will send cars full of explosives and suicide bombers,”. So I definitely felt the severity of this issue. Thanks to the Daily News, I understand that ISIS is officially planning a threat on the United States.
I found the video the be very gut wrenching. The video showed footage of a plane flying into the World Trade Center and images of ISIS soldiers. I found this video to be very impactful. Watching that footage made me very upset and brought back very sad memories of an awful disaster. But the video did fulfill its purpose, because the whole point of this article was to spread awareness of a awful treat such as ISIS, and sometimes the only way to spread awareness is through scaring us.
The interactive part came when the writer Meg Wagner shared her email at the bottom of the article. I thought that was cool. Now if I wanted to share my opinions of this article I have direct access to do so.
3. I would had definitely added a response from the United States in her print. Just because it could give people a sense of comfort. I think some people reading this could be very frightened, so maybe a response from the government reassuring its people could have been fitting
 1. The types of media in this article was print, video and interactivity
2. The print was an informative piece, it told how the Republican debate was on tomorrow night. It was pretty basic information like what time it is on, what channel it is on and who is in it. The one surprise was that Carly Fiorina will also be joining the debate as the eleventh candidate,
The video showed how Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina were gaining ground in this election. They also said that if these two one a primary or a caucus that it would be a first time a African American or a Woman who was affiliated with the Republicans won. I thought that fact was interesting only because I never knew that before.
David Catanese also posted his email information in case I wanted to give him some feedback. Unfortunately I would probably not give him any stellar reviews on this piece.
3. If I were to change anything I would have definitely cut out all the Donald Trump nonsense at the end on the print. Catanese talks about how Trump and Carson have been attacking each other. I just want one article in relation to the election where I don't have to hear who Donald Trump is attacking now










 

1 comment:

  1. Good job but I did want you to label this post as "ASSIGNMENT #1" - see Blackboard for your grade.

    ReplyDelete